Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Anti-Valentine's Day Show












This post is definitely long over due! Let me start off by saying this may have been the best Valentine's Day ever. It was also my first Anti-Valentine's Day show. It was the 3rd annual Anti-Valentine's Day show, a riot grrrl cover show to be exact. The cover charge was between $5-10 and the doors opened at 6:30 p.m. The line-up included: Lunachicks, Lilliput, Bratmobile, Limp wrist, Team Dresch, X-Ray Spex, Bangs, and Bikini Kill. There was tabling by For the Birds Collective, Wardrobe Boutique, Support New York & more.

According to a source of mine the show for the past two years was at someone's apartment. This year however the show was at Death by Audio, making it an official scene. The crowd was full of people from different walks of life. There were teenagers, adults, people with fascinating tattoos, piercings, and clothing. There was a table in the back with zines and information about the fight against domestic violence.

Several things were a bit annoying like the smoking of legal and illegal substances. It was a great place to dance but people went too far and were not aware of their surroundings or the people. The crowd went absolutely wild when the cover band for Bikini Kill came out. I personally went wild because my close-friend and confidante Jamie was playing.

She did a great job on the bass, electric guitar as well as vocals. She killed it with the song "Double Dare Ya". I snapped pictures like a wild woman. I was so inspired by her and everyone in the room. I hope to someday play the drums or maybe even sing at the Anti-Valentine's Day show. One can dream, right? However in my case I am going to work hard to make it a reality.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy that you had a good time at the show, thank you for being there! I'm so happy that you felt inspired, I can't wait to hear you on the drums.

    Get out your favorite hat, girl, and get ready to toss it up in the air. Because I think we're going to make it after all!

    ReplyDelete