Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Right Time Right Place

      A week or two ago, a really good friend of mine invited me to a party. Little did I know it was a Secret Sessions party held at the Tainted Blue Recording Studio. My friend T has an apprenticeship with the studio and has been studying audio engineering. The other interns and studio manager were so polite and informative about the program (so much so that I have been thinking about doing it myself). The studio was amazing, to the left there were guitars, so expensive and so beautiful. The audio system was updated and had so many controls and functions. I was intimidated by this space the moment I walked in but the first person to greet us was Robert Sax, *everyone called him Sax.
         He greeted T and me with such a warm smile and firm handshake. He showed me the space and made me feel welcome. I let out a breath and decided that I could be myself and enjoy the surroundings to its full capacity. The interns I met were Jason, Brittany and a few others who were polite and welcoming as well. I spoke to Jason because of the similar majors we had in college. He told me that studying audio engineering especially at Tainted Blue Studios was the best decision he ever made. He did his research and found himself near the heart of New York City as well as the music industry.    
        I was able to relax and joke around. I was shown around the studio and even volunteered to help around a little while more people arrived. The room started to fill up with: photographers, artists, interns and people from different walks of life as well. There were fliers all over with the band that was going to play. *Draped in Green, on the front was a picture of a very pretty girl and mysterious guy with a guitar in his hands. I was very intrigued and couldn't wait for their performance, in the meanwhile I decided to work the room, introduce myself and make several contacts.
         I definitely felt like I was part of this elite group of hard-working people with their various connections to music. There were articles in the studio as well, one about Alicia Keys that caught my eye. It spoke about her origins and her journey to the music industry. When I was done reading I realized I lost my friends but I wasn't concerned because I knew sooner or later I would find them. I moved through the crowd to the front and prepared to listen to Draped in Green. Through the noise of the crowd I was able to hear Jennifer's loud, clear and soulful voice. Alex and Jennifer were in sync that night and balanced out their harmony. Towards the end of their performance they decided to sing Cee-Lo Green's song "Fuck You" with a few revisions.
       I absolutely love that song and when they encouraged the crowd to sing I couldn't help but want to join. I sang along them and loved every second of it. As soon as they were done with their amazing performance I learned that they had only gotten together in October or November! They sounded so good together I thought about their chemistry and contribution of creative ideas between the two of them. I left the party that night feeling so good about my life and its possibilities. The next night three people were on the floor of my apartment building. They were location managers looking for a place to shoot their CBS pilot! I couldn't believe my luck. I was polite and exchanged my information with them. I even showed them my apartment, so they could get a feel of it. It made me feel like I was in the right place at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment