Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lights. Camera. Action!

"First I was afraid/I was petrified/Kept thinking I could never live/without you by my side/But I spent so many nights/thinking how you did me wrong/I grew strong/I learned how to carry on/and so you're back/from outer space/I just walked in to find you here/with that sad look upon your face/I should have changed my stupid lock/ I should have made you leave your key/If I had known for just one second/you'd be back to bother me."
       A week ago I was browsing through facebook when I saw the most amazing event posted: Volunteers needed for the Gloria Gaynor "I will survive" music video. Now let me add that I have a part time job as an assistant Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I quickly went to the link and saw that it was happening on Tuesday! I jumped at the very thought. There were no ifs and or buts I absolutely had do be a part of this. The dress code said dark clothing. Everything I practically own is black, I couldn't help but think of the era and the song. So, I decided to wear a red and blue plaid shirt(they were dark red and blue) with skinny jeans and black boots. The shoot was scheduled from 10am til 4pm and I wanted to be there as early as possible.
       I woke up at 9am in the morning excited, nervous and most of all exhilarated about what laid ahead. I wanted to straightened my hair but went against it because I didn't want to waste time. I got ready in 20 mins *a new record for me* and was on my way. However as soon as I got off the train I was lost for half an hour... Strangers and my good friend Pearl were kind enough to point me in the right direction. I found the location and was in awe of the lights, the camera, and all of the beautiful people. I was tongue-tied and saw that everyone was wearing black! Well I thought: I know better for next time. I walked to the front and was asked to sign a paper for the video. The shooting was going to start shortly I was told. I sat next to a woman and introduced myself. We started talking about the song and what it meant to the both of us. We talked about heartache, love and loss. She was really something else.
      As she started talking to the woman next to her. I couldn't help but revel in the entire room, all of these people: different ages and walks of life were brought together by this artist and this song. I was inspired once again to make my way around the room and make new friends. I made so many contacts and new friends that I was energized and empowered by such an experience. It was my first time on a shoot and most certainly will not be my last. I got a work out by dancing two to three hours straight. Towards the middle of the shoot Gloria Gaynor made her appearance and thanked us all for being there.
       This was definitely an experience I will hold on to for the rest of my life. It showed me that everyone has to pay their dues and that through hard work anything is possible. Again I was brought to a number of possibilities and directions my life could go in but instead of feeling overwhelmed I felt better; better knowing that I can do anything and become anyone I choose.
        
          

No comments:

Post a Comment