Sunday, March 20, 2011

Support Your Friends! Support the Arts!

         Last week Pearl, a very good friend of mine was involved in a play at LaGuardia Community College. Even though my schedule changed from week to week I decided to support her and the show. The play was called The Vortican and it revolved around vampires of the Royal Family. Vampires seemed to be such a hot topic these days.
       I wasn't too sure what to expect. Now let me explain something, I met Pearl in high school and she is extremely important and special to me, she is in my close circle of friends. Experience had taught me that you should always buy flowers on opening night and say "break a leg" rather than good luck. I bought a bouquet of flowers and made me way to the show.
        I was immediately sucked in(haha I just added a pun) to the dynamics of the play. The first thing that caught my eye were the outfits. The men were dressed in slacks and dark clothes. They had swords, canes and of course their lethal fangs. The women on the other hand had tight dresses and dark clothing. It was a modern look but I would have preferred a clash of something old and new. My favorite fashionista was the girl who played the queen, she had such a style that clashed with the past and modern time.
                The play had such a wide range of actors, whom proved to be very talented. The audience was able to feel the raw emotion between King Cassin and Queen Jocelyn, the betrayal between Xavier and Dextrius and much more. Even the crazy vamp of the play Lithium made a valid point: how humans were quick to judge the vampires for their greed. Yet humans were just as greedy! For example look at Christmas, we spent the year pining and wishing for our gifts. And when we received what we wanted, we wished and wanted more next year.      
                Pearl played Angeline, the queen's daughter. She was the spitting image of her and obeyed her "mother" in any way she could. She wanted to rule along side her mother and run The Vortican the best way she saw fit. The play had humor as well as a sense of danger whenever the actors leaped off stage or fought with their cat-like moves. The fighting scenes were choreographed very well. The person responsible for the play was Dana King. Whom I nosily overheard was able to write this play in an hour, she edited it for weeks(but still!Wow!). Her imagination for this play was quite impressive and the actors involved made it come alive.  

      

No comments:

Post a Comment